Did you have a lot of remotes at your home for each device and you are tired of finding each one to operate every single device? In that case here is the perfect guide in which I am going to provide a review of the best Universal Remotes that you should buy and replace with the rest of them.
Since there are hundreds of products are available out there that’s why I bought several of them to check about device compatibility, features, price and so on. However, not all of them were the same as they said in their product description and that’s why I collected only those that worth your money.
That’s why if you want your hands on a perfect remote that can fulfil all your needs then just read this article until the end where you will learn everything about each remote. Perhaps if you are in a rush and want a replacement for your device then you should probably go to the bottom to read the conclusion.
It is because reading about each device might be confusing that’s why I just put my two choices at the bottom to help those who still don’t know which one to choose.
What are Universal Remotes?
A universal remote is a type of remote that is used to control more than one device of the same or different brands. This remote is sold separately and is more often manufactured by 3rd-party companies. There are some low-end remotes that are programmed to control certain numbers of devices determined by the manufacture.
While on the other hand some mid or high-end remotes can be used with almost every brands as they come with the code learning technology. With this technology a person can pair an incompatible remote with the universal remote by using a code and then it will start working.
Except this, a universal remote can also be used to control two or more devices at the same time by using similar code-learning technology. For instance, Logitech launches its remote named Harmony Elite that was capable of controlling 15 devices of almost every brand.
The latest remotes that are coming nowadays are capable of doing various things that you couldn’t even imagine before it was actually launched. Most of these come with the ability of auto-pairing that take fewer efforts while some of them have a touchscreen display or an OLED screen.
Top 10 Best Universal Remotes Review
Since technology is growing day by day new products are getting launched each time and they replace the old ones. This way the more devices you buy the more remotes you get to operate them. It becomes annoying when you have to manage multiple devices like your TV, Streaming Stick and Speakers/SoundBars.
This will also make your table look messier and it even becomes annoying when you are watching a movie or a TV show at night in the darkroom. To avoid this hassle you will probably need to purchase a universal remote that is used to control multiple devices.
However, your problem doesn’t end here because not all universal remotes are compatible with every device that’s why before purchasing any you first need to see if this will work with the devices you own. To overcome this problem you can check below the list of the best Universal Remotes that are tested by me.
Sevenhugs Smart Remote
The first remote that I would like to add to the list of the best Universal remotes are probably Sevenhugs Smart Remote X. Some of you might not hear it before but after Logitech discontinues their Harmony remote this is getting famous among the users nowadays.
Currently, Sevenhugs offers two variant of their remotes that are Sevenhugs U and Sevenhugs X in which the X is their top-notch product with advanced features. Both of them have almost the same features while the X variant is more advanced and has auto-pairing technology etc.
This universal remote is compatible with over 650,000+ devices and services as it uses Bluetooth, WiFi and Infrared to interact with the device. Using it quite easily as you just need to install the app first and after that just download the information of your device from the app and then it will be ready to use.
Sevenhugs X is a small remote that fits in everyone’s hand and has round corners, they use plastic to manufacture this remote which may look cheaper but it provides a good grip to hold. There are no physical buttons used in this remote as it has a full touchscreen display to control the device.
When you switch the device it will automatically provide you with a layout accordingly that is quite an awesome feature. This way you don’t need to hassle with a lot of buttons to find the right key just like Harmony Elite. Sevenhugs X has the drawback of battery life as it only lasts for a day or two.
In future we might see the new version with improved battery life but until it is not good as it has to be but still it is one of the best universal remote for all sort of devices.
- Easy to Pair devices using android application.
- It is able to control over 80 devices including 20 IR-based.
- Small in size with stylish design and round corners make it comfortable to carry.
- It has a full touchscreen display.
- The button layout changes automatically according to the device.
- This is compatible with over 650,000 devices and services.
- It supports WiFi, Infrared and Bluetooth connectivity.
- Lost & found the button in the charge station to locate the remote.
- This remote also comes with three sensors.
- It is a highly customizable remote.
- Requires 6 AA-size batteries.
- It has terrible battery life.
- The price is a little bit expensive because of the features it gives.
- There is no support of Google, Alexa or Siri voice assistant.
- It is limited to the Smart Thermostat devices.
- This remote is quite delicate as it has a full touchscreen display.
Updated SofaBaton U1
Now coming to the next remote in our today’s list is the Updated SofaBaton U1 which is also quite similar to the Sevenhugs Remote X. This updated version of a SofaBaton is able to control over 15 devices at your home using Bluetooth and Infrared technology.
Using this remote is quite easy than you think of as it comes with Infrared matching and traditional IR-learning mode to pair different devices. They have around 300,000+ IR codes of 6000+ different brands uploaded on their cloud that can be downloaded using their Android or iOS application.
SofaBaton offers the users an OLED panel to check which device they are interacting with and also has a wheel that is used to toggle between devices. You can make this remote smarter simply by installing the application as it will provide you with more features than the remote itself.
Talking about the compatibility then this remote can be used with all sort of devices including VCR, Blu-Ray Player, FireTV Sticks, Roku, Apple TV and so on. This is simply an amazing remote control and the best thing is SofaBaton comes at an affordable and reasonable price.
When it comes to the design then this remote has a semi-oval shape with a flat at the top and narrow at the bottom that makes it comfortable to carry. This remote comes with rechargeable batteries that last for several months as when I purchase it for the first time I am still using it with the same batteries.
- SofaBaton is a budget-friendly universal remote.
- You can use it to control over 15 devices.
- It supports IR-Matching, Traditional IR-Learning and Bluetooth connectivity.
- Nice and premium design that is easy to carry.
- OLED display to see which device you are using.
- It has a wheel button to toggle between devices.
- This remote supports over 6000+ brands.
- Comes with rechargeable batteries that last few years.
- It is compatible with Streaming Sticks and DVD Players.
- An Android or iOS app help customizing the remote.
- It has a backlit that consumes a lot of battery.
- There is no WiFi connectivity means it can’t be used with Smart Home devices.
- The buttons of this remote are delicate.
Caavo Control Center
Caavo Control Center is our next product on the list of the best universal remote controls that I have used for few months. This one is completely different from the others that I have already mentioned above. It is because this Caavo Center is basically a box where you can attach various devices to operate them with a single remote.
The Caavo box has 4 HDMI ports behind that means you are able to control four different devices with a single remote. It works pretty fine with various Streaming Sticks, Soundbars, Game Consoles, DVD Players, Blu-Rays, DVR, Projector and even Google Assistant or Alexa.
With this control centre, you don’t need to pair each IR-based remote since it automatically collects information about that device and will be ready to use within a few seconds. Other than this Caavo also has a lost & find button located at the top of the box that you can press to find the remote.
Now talking about the remote of the Caavo centre then the layout of this remote is a little bit strange as the frequently used buttons like Volume control are located at the top. While you can find the next/previous buttons at the bottom which is really awkward and confusing that I didn’t like.
Basically, Caavo comes with the price tag of $99 but when you set up it for the first time you will be asked for a subscription that costs $19.99/year or $50 lifetime that makes it totally $150. This subscription is basically used to add guide data and search feature that helps to open the desired content on the right device.
- This is an affordable and budget-friendly remote.
- The voice assistant feature is very accurate.
- Caavo can be used to operate multiple devices.
- It supports Google and Alexa voice assistant.
- Works fine with WiFi, IR and Bluetooth devices.
- You can connect 4 devices and use them frequently.
- Lost & Find button to locate your remote.
- Two IR-blasters comes within the box.
- Build quality of the box is impressive.
- Remote can be customized by using an iOS application.
- There is no support for the Dolby Vision.
- The app is only available for iOS devices.
- You need to pay monthly for Guide Data and Search Feature.
- The design of the remote is a little bit confusing as volume keys appear at the top.
Control4 Neeo Remote
The next product that I would like to add to this list is the Control4 Neeo universal remote. Contro4 has already launched two remotes before that are C4-SR260 & C4-SR260-I while the Neeo is their latest remote. Unlike other models, this one is quite amazing and is packed with new and advanced features.
I have already owned a C4-SR260 remote but when I heard about it I immediately order this out of curiosity to check whether it stands on my expectations or not. When I received this remote I was really happy after seeing the design as it has a Swiss design that is way better than the older ones.
On the front side, it has a machined aluminium body that gives a premium look while on the backside it has a silicon plate that makes it easy to carry and makes it non-slippery. It has a full-screen touch display with recently used apps, favourite channels and a list of devices connected.
Under the touch display, you will find some frequently used buttons like Back, Volume keys, channels, Play/Pause that makes it easy to interact with the remote. This remote comes with a non-removable battery that provides 5 days of battery life with a single charge and can be used for few years.
Control4 has the compatibility of wide-range devices and it can be used along with your Streaming Sticks, Blu-Rays, DVD Players, Consoles and even Smart Home devices. With Control4 universal remote you can control all your devices by laying on your couch.
- Control4 Neeo is a premium quality universal remote.
- This remote works out of the box just to connect to the WiFi.
- It has a full touchscreen display to interact with devices.
- The aluminium frame and silicon plate make it comfortable in the hands.
- Under the screen, it has frequently used keys.
- This remote is compatible with thousands of devices.
- It can be used with IR, WiFi, Z-Wave®, HDMI, CEC, Bluetooth or RF devices.
- The single charge will last around 5 days.
- Overall battery life is awesome and can be used for few years.
- Made of premium material and is fall-proof.
- The price is quite expensive as we can expect from Control4.
- You need to have Control4 set up to use this remote.
- Limited customization option for touchscreen.
- The battery is non-removable so you can’t change it.
GE Universal Remote Control
If you are a classical remote user or just want a simple remote for your IR-based devices then GE is the best universal remote for you. This remote is quite old-fashioned it has a rectangular design just like the remote that we get out of the box with any TV or other brand.
Using this remote is also easy because all the keys are placed where it has to be so you won’t face any issue with it. GE universal remote is a powerful product that can be used to control over 4 devices including TV, Blu-Ray, DVD Player and almost all IR-based devices.
However this remote lacks some new features like Bluetooth and WiFi connectivity that makes it incompatible with Streaming Stick or other new devices. But still, for a regular user, it is a really amazing product since you can program it using a computer because it has the codes of major brands like Sony, Panasonic, Samsung and so on.
GE Universal Remote uses the 2 AA size batteries that you get out of the box and when it comes to the battery life then you can use it for years with the same batteries. Overall build quality is average but yet this is a good remote in this price range that helps you manage 4 devices.
- It is a less expensive and budget-friendly remote.
- You can control over 4 devices with GE.
- This remote is pre-programed with Sony, Panasonic etc.
- It has a simple and traditional rectangular design.
- Works fine with Blu-Ray, TV, DVD Player etc.
- Can be programmed through the computer.
- It has a code library that includes thousands of brands codes.
- Provides the best battery life that lasts years.
- It requires 2 AA-size batteries.
- Doesn’t support WiFi & Bluetooth devices.
- No display or backlit support to use in the dark.
- It cannot be used with Streaming Sticks or Consoles.
- Too many keys are confusing for several devices.
Philips Universal Remote Control
Philips is one of the most popular brands known for making various electronics products including Cooking, Lights, Households and so on. Despite this, they have also introduced their budget-friendly universal remote control that is an amazing product to have.
It has a nice design with back and front wide while the centre of this remote is narrow which makes it easy to use and feels comfortable in hands. Due to this design, all the keys can be accessed easily so you don’t have to struggle to find the right key while using it at night.
However for night use, Philips universal remote lacks the backlit support which makes me sad as I don’t want to turn on lights to change channel or volume. Unlike me, if you don’t think as a useful feature then this is the best choice for you because it is way cheaper than most of the remotes.
Despite being cheap Philips also allows you to control over 4 Audio/Video devices at home that supports Infrared. Unlike GE it doesn’t pair automatically so you need to use the codes provided in the manual to pair it with your TV or another device. This process might take some time if you are not familiar with IR learning.
- It is the best remote at a low cost.
- Philips can be used for 4 different devices.
- Simple design makes it easy to carry.
- Comes with a button to Open/Close the DVD.
- Increase or Decrease the volume of any device you want.
- Multiple colour options to match with furniture.
- It supports Insignia, Samsung, TCL, Sharp and other major brands.
- This remote requires 2 AA batteries.
- IR learning technology to add the device you want to use.
- Made of good quality plastic that is drop tested.
- There is no support for Streaming Stick or Smart Home devices.
- It doesn’t support the auto-pairing feature.
- No backlit support makes it hard to use at night.
WeChip W2 Pro Remote
The next product that I am going to talk about in the list of the best Universal remote is the WeChip W2 Pro Air Mouse remote. Unlike most of the products, I have mentioned earlier this one is completely different not from the design but from the functionality and features as well.
WeChip W2 Pro has two sides wherein the first side has navigation keys, volume, channel, AirMouse and backlit keys while on the backside it has a keyboard layout along with the touchpad mouse. Design-wise it has round corners on both edges and the texture is made by the laser technology adding a layer of rubber.
The rubber layer makes it looks eye-catchy and also provides a non-slippery surface that makes it easy to use. It also has a backlit feature so you can use it at nights without having any issue. AirMouse features make it unique from other remotes as you can move remote in the Air to hover the mouse.
WeChip W2 Pro has the IR-learning ability that was missing in the W2 version that means it is now able to control IR-based devices as well. It can also be used for Firesticks, FireTV Cube, Roku, Nvidia Shield, Mi Box and so on but to make it work you need to use their Bluetooth Chip.
This is a drawback of this device because Streaming Sticks doesn’t have a Micro USB port that’s why they need to purchase an OTG cable first to use it. Other than this WeChip 2 only be used with just one device where the signal device is attached and it is very limited to the IR-based devices as well.
- Less-expensive remote with a unique design.
- AirMouse or Touchpad is integrated into a remote.
- A keyboard layout to type faster than before.
- Plug & Play remote with no additional setup.
- Compatible with Firesticks, Roku Sticks, Nvidia Shield etc.
- It can be used with IR-based devices.
- Voice functionality supports Alexa & Google Assistant.
- Anti-lost technology to find remote by pressing receiver button.
- Backlit keys to use it at night without turning on keys.
- A larger battery that lasts for a week with a single charge.
- Uses a normal Micro USB to charge the remote.
- Limited device compatibility.
- Require a signal receiver to make it usable.
- Can only control 1 device where the receiver is attached.
- Doesn’t support Bluetooth or RF connectivity.
Crestron TSR- 310
Coming to the next best universal remote we have Crestron TSR-310 that is the latest model released by the manufacturer. It is considered as one of the best remote control overtaking Savant, URC or Control4 because it has a lot of customization options and has the nicest User-Interface.
This remote is basically made for the latest Crestron Pyng OS 2 that is now available on a wide range of devices. Crestron TSR-310 has a new style that comes with a touchscreen display and some frequently used keys under the screen to control media without interacting with the display.
Talking about the design than it has a matte surface with an ergonomic design that is non-slippery and can be used with a single hand. Furthermore this remote can be used to control over 150 devices including Streaming Sticks, DVD Player, DVR, Consoles, Security Doors and so on.
I am impressed with its built-in voice feature where the remote can understand regular commands in different languages. It is not accurate but still, it is a great integration where people with different languages can use voice command. When it comes to the battery than with a single charge you can use it for 5.5 hours only.
It might not look good but still, you can keep it on the charging dock when it is not being used. However, it can also save battery by going into sleep mode when you are not interacting with it. This is a good addition to those who don’t hold remote for longer and this way then can increase battery timing.
- Crestron TSR-310 is compatible with almost every device & service.
- Too many customization options like Brightness change, Quick Actions, Standby Timer.
- It is compatible with Streaming Sticks, Consoles, Smart Home devices etc.
- The new touchscreen display is fast and smooth to use.
- A matte finish and ergonomic design make it comfortable to carry.
- This can be used to control over 150 different devices.
- Built-in voice command feature supports various languages.
- Auto-sleep when the remote is not being used.
- Motion detection sensor makes it ready to use every time.
- Light sensor to enable backlit automatically in dark.
- Instant-wakeup to use remote without picking.
- The price of this remote is quite expensive.
- Battery life is not good as it can be used for 5.5 hours continuously.
OMAIC Universal Smart TV Remote
OMAIC is another best universal remote in the market that you can use to replace your old or broken remote control. Basically this remote is made as a replacement for all Samsung Smart TV, LED, LCD, HDTV, 4K, 3D etc. It is simply one of the best replacement remote that comes with an affordable price tag.
To use this remote you don’t need to do any settings or have to go through any difficult setup process because it works out of the box. Design-wise I love this remote because it has a traditional rectangular design and it is made of ABS material that makes it eco-friendly and damage-proof.
Coming to the battery life then it can be used for few years without changing batteries as it uses 2 AA size batteries. This remote doesn’t support rechargeable batteries so you need to use normal batteries with it. I have been using it for a couple of months now and I haven’t changed the old batteries yet.
OMAIC comes with all necessary keys like volume control, programs, number pad, On/Off, Play/Pause and even navigation keys to interact with your TV. This remote can only be used with Samsung Television that uses an Infrared connection because there is no support for Bluetooth or WiFi.
- It is compatible with all Samsung Televisions.
- OMAIC works with Smart TV, LCD, LED, HDTV, 4K & 3D TV.
- Buttons are made of silicon provides a soft touch.
- Less-expensive but outstanding quality remote.
- This remote works out of the box that doesn’t require any programming.
- It is made of ABS material that is eco-friendly.
- The material is non-breakable and feels soft in the hands.
- Amazing battery life that lasts for few years.
- Fastest response in just 0.3 seconds.
- Doesn’t support Bluetooth or WiFi.
- Can only be used with Samsung TV.
- No option to pair additional buttons.
- Cannot be used with Streaming Sticks.
Nettech New LG AKB72915239 Universal Remote
The last product we have in the list of the best Universal remotes is the Nettech AKB72915239 replacement remote control for LG TV. Just like the OMAIC this remote is also made as a replacement for the LG TV brands where it can be used for Smart TVs, LED, LCD, 3D and other TVs.
Nettech is really an amazing product that comes at an affordable price for those who lost their remotes or their kids just broke the one that comes with the TV. Using this remote is quite easy than you think because it doesn’t need any sort of programming and it works out of the box.
Unfortunately this remote is only capable of controlling IR-Based devices and also it only be used with one device. This is really sad to those who want to use multiple devices as it is only programmed for LG TV. Perhaps the remote has a simple design comes with a rectangular shape and is made of good plastic.
With this remote you can perform all the common actions like changing channels, volume up/down, navigation, Power On/Off and so on. I have been using it for quite a while and I just love its simplicity and the key response is also fast as I didn’t face any delays even after using it for a couple of months.
- A less expensive and good quality remote for LG TV.
- Works with Smart TV, LED, LCD, 3D and other TVs.
- No need to pair as it works out of the box.
- Traditional design made of excellent material.
- Silicon keys that feel soft to use.
- Excellent battery life and can be used for years.
- All keys like Volume, Channel and Power are working.
- Remote works from 10 meters of distance.
- It comes with 1 year of brand warranty.
- Not suitable for Streaming Sticks or other Bluetooth devices.
- It is not fall-proof means it can be broken easily.
- Cannot be used with multiple devices.
This is the end of this article as if you have made it this far I am sure you find a nice remote to operate your multiple devices and avoid the hassle of having too many remotes. In this list of the best universal remotes, I have reviewed only those that I actually bought and used by myself.
This is why I assure you that these remotes work exactly as I have mentioned above and if you have missed it then just make sure to read the whole article again. By reading a complete article you can easily decide which one to choose since each of the product has its own features, benefits, price etc.
However in my opinion I would simply suggest going for the Sevenhugs since the product is quite old and it supports a wide range of devices. You can simply use it to control over 80 devices of which 20 are the IR which is pretty amazing and also it has a touchscreen display for easy navigation.
Although this might be expensive for several people that’s why they can go for the SofaBaton Updated U1. It also supports RF, Bluetooth and even IR connectivity and can be used to control 15 devices. Instead of Touchscreen this remote offers an OLED panel that works as backlit at night and has a wheel button to toggle between devices.
These are some of my suggestion to those whos till can’t find a replacement remote for themselves but in case if you know a product that isn’t listed here then make sure to share it with us. Also, if you are using any of these products then don’t forget to leave your precious comment here.